This advice is not a substitute for any instructions your doctor has previously given you in the office. This is routine pregnancy advice, in normal low risk pregnancies.
NUTRITION AND PREGNANCY
It is recommended that during pregnancy, each woman should intake a well-balanced healthful diet.
We recommend that you:
- Eat at least 3 servings of fruits and 4 servings vegetables a day. Which includes all dark green, orange, and yellow leafy vegetables and all fruits. Kool-aid or fruit drinks do not count as your daily fruit and vegetable intake. An 8oz. glass of 100% fruit juice without corn syrup counts.
- Eat 4 servings of whole grains, such as whole wheat, oats, and brown rice. White bread is not a whole grain.
- Eat 2 eggs daily. Eggs are rich in omega3 fatty acids, protein, and iron.
- Eat 4-5 servings of dairy products, such as milk, cheese, or yogurt.
- Eat 3-4 lean meats such as chicken, beef, or pork. Or meat substitutes, such as peanut butter, tofu, or soybeans.
IMPORTANT FOOD SOURCES:
- Beef, Pork, Veal, Chicken, Fish, Shellfish
- Grains, Cereals, Fruits, Beans, Legumes,
- Dairy Products,
- Carrots, Corn, Lettuce, Molasses,
- Tofu, Peanut Butter
- Bananas, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Oranges, Cantaloupe, Melons, Peaches, Prunes, Apricots, Raisins, Watermelon, Beets, Green Vegetables, Soybeans, Squash, Mushrooms, Nuts, Salt Substitute, Buttermilk or Low fat Milk, Citrus/Prune/or Tomato Juice
- Fortified Cereals, Legumes, Whole Grains (such as whole wheat), Wheat Germ,
- Seafood, Shellfish, Fish
- Cheeses, Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, All Milks, Sardines, Salmon, Beans, Oysters,
- Tofu, Collards, Kale, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens, Waffles, Cornbread, Pancakes,
- Blackstrap Molasses, Custard
- Enriched grains, such as cereal, bread, rice and pasta.
- Orange juice,
- Green leafy vegetables, broccoli, asparagus, peas, lentils, beans and peanuts.
FOODS AND CHEMICALS TO AVOID
- Avoid fish with high levels of mercury, such as shark, tile fish, swordfish, and king mackerel. Albacore tuna is higher in mercury than regular light tuna. Eat albacore tuna only 12 ounces monthly. It is better to eat light tuna packed in spring water 12 ounces weekly.
- Avoid exposure to toxic chemicals and substances. Take special care with cleaning products and always read the label. Clean in a well ventilated area.
- Avoid lead based paints, indoor shooting ranges, and using dishes that contain lead.
It is very important that you drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily. Avoid caffeine, caffeine dehydrates you. Do not count sodas, teas, juice, or milk as part of your daily water intake.
The best fluids for you are:
- Sports Drinks (such as Gatorade, Powerade)
- Physical activity during pregnancy can benefit both you and your baby by lessening discomfort and fatigue, making labor easier and increasing the likelihood of early recovery after delivery.
- Light to moderate exercise strengthens the abdominal and back muscles, which help improve posture and decrease aches and pains.
- Practicing yoga, Pilates, walking, swimming and cycling on a stationary bike are safe for pregnant women.
- It is best to exercise at least 30 minutes each day, drink plenty of water when exercising and rest after.